Saturday 20 February 2016

OVERVIEW OF NEW YORK | FASHION WEEK

I thought I would share some of my favourite outfits from New York Fashion Week and what I've been thinking of the trends, colour palettes and my top collections so far which have hit the runway for FW16.



As you can see from the look book I have created, all of the outfits I have selected are all very neutral colours. When it comes to fall/winter we can all predict what colour hues we will be wearing: monochrome, muted colours, earthy tones and neutrals. These colours definitely shone through on the runway, but I feel blue was definitely a dominant colour which took over many of the collections. Blue seemed to be darker, more muted this season with an odd electric blue piece of clothing shining through and the reds took on a reddish-brown tone. 
Unfortunately for me being the fair person I am, mustard yellow was another colour that kept reappearing, just look as far as Phillip Lim, Narcisco Rodriguez and Proenza Schouler (although Proenza Schouler's yellow criss-cross lacing dress was the killer dress for me during NYFW) 
Also hooray for the return of burgundy ... basically the only colour that seems to appear in my wardrobe during fall/winter. 

VELVET!! I am so glad the trend for velvet has continued into FW16 because I absolutely love it, I particularly fell in love with Phillip Lim's velvet boots and wrap around kimono (number 7 in my look book) and Opening Ceremony's head to toe velvet tracksuit look ... epic. Yes, the texture isn't great to touch but there's something that keeps me buying more and more velvet pieces ... so it's fair to say I'm ecstatic the trend has carried through. 
Patent. Those leather pieces finished off with that glossy patent coating ... Yep, I adore patent. I was starting to get patent withdrawal symptoms but thanks to Rosie Assoulin (picture 6), Tome (picture 4) and Proenza Schouler my craving has been seen too. 
Don't get me wrong patent worn in the wrong way can look ... well horrific, but subtle details and with a minimal outfit, it can really make an outfit stand out. I know the high street already offer some incredible patent boots. 
The Bomber Jacket. Is it just me or does it feel like the bomber jacket has been a trend for a decade? Maybe it's just me because I live in Leeds and constantly see bomber jackets being worn. I'm not completely against them, I particularly like the longline version which have been hitting the high street lately ... But I must admit I am starting to get a little bored. 

The list of trends could go on, but there were a few details that caught my eye. Vera Wang's buckle detail (picture 1). I love that by adding this simple detail to her outfits it instantly makes them look more fierce and with the white buckles contrasting against the black dress; in picture 1; your eyes are drawn to the buckle detail creating an illusion of a longer leg because of the split (however, there is no doubt in my mind that this model has legs for days). 
Proenza Schouler's criss-cross lace detailing. I know the lace-up tops are a massive hit for spring/summer but I like how Proenza Schouler has used that detail but giving it a spin for fall/winter. Just the subtle details of the criss-cross on the shoulder hemline, horizontal lacing instead of vertical and my personal favourite, the lacing at the back of the boots (High street please give me a dupe of these!)
Opening Ceremony's fishnet tops. I have no idea why I loved this so much but I did ... no judgements here ok?! I think it took me back to my childhood days of wearing fishnet tights and now I want one. 

Overall, I was impressed with the collections at NYFW. But the killer collection for me was Proenza Schouler. The tailored silhouettes, the full wide leg trousers, the patch-worked fur coats, the leather patent coats with shearling lapels, the criss-cross lacing through silver eyelets and the steel capped toe boots. Everything was perfection and it was a dream collection for me.

So that's what I thought about NYFW, feel free to comment what your favourite outfits were I would love to know. I will also be doing overviews for London, Milan and Paris Fashion Week so stay tuned. 

Chelsea x

No comments:

Post a Comment