Wednesday 24 February 2016

OVERVIEW OF LONDON | FASHION WEEK


And yet again we come to the end of another fabulous Fashion Week which means another overview of what really stood out for me. 



I swear my look books of the outfits which really did it for me just keep getting longer ... for Milan and Paris I'm going to change it up and just write about my favourite collections otherwise I'm going to have thousands of outfits that I have to feature on my blog. 

Anyway, back to London Fashion Week and what a glamorous fashion week it was. 
So many of the colours and trends from New York did carry through onto LFW (especially yellow) but there was also a new scene of colour, trends and atmosphere that London introduced.

As you can tell from just comparing my look books from NYFW and LFW that the London outfits definitely have more colour incorporated into them and a lot more pastels. One colour in particularly was featured in many of the collections ... PINK. Blush, baby pink, fuchsia, magenta, you name it it was there. I'm not usually a girl that appreciates pink within my wardrobe but Simone Rocha's tweed baby pink coat (picture 29) caught my eye as soon as I saw it strutting down the catwalk. The way the hem hits the ankles, the oversized sleeves, the bubblegum colour and the fact that it looks just as cosy as a dressing gown...It's on my wishlist that's for sure. 

One designer who really pulled it out the bag in terms of colour (and everything else, because the collection was so elegant) was Roksanda. For any fair skinned females look to this collection to get you through the Autumn/Winter season. The dark plum, teal, navy, toffee, caramel and the variety of pinks is everything I want and need during A/W. Therefore, I hope the high street looks to this collection for inspiration because I know I will be. 

A final colour I have to mention simply because when I saw it I stared at the screen for a solid 10 minutes because I was captured ... Xiao Li's baby blue (if that's what you even call this desirable shade), oh wow. This shade is everything and they styled it perfectly with off-white and a light salmon colour. Seriously, If you haven't seen it you need to check it out (see picture 31 for a little taster). 

Lets talk trends
So to compare to NYFW, the arrivals of patent leather, flatform shoes, bomber jackets, eyelets and buckles still continued on the runway. But LFW was definitely more glitz and glam offering ruffles, sequins, frills, zips, cocktail dresses and evening gowns embellished from head-to-toe.
Ruffles and frills - OK we got the message that everything has to have a frill or a ruffle. What designer didn't have any? Just look at Peter Pilotto, Roksanda, Alexander McQueen, Central Saint Martins MA as a couple who embraced this trend. However, no one did it quite like JW Anderson who ruffled hems, collar, seams and even his own handbag.
Velvet - YAAAAS. Velvet was still as popular in LFW as it was in New York, if anything bigger. But my favourite velvet item from LFW (if you follow me on twitter you may already have seen me tweet about it) had to be Roksanda's velvet thigh high boots which came in dark purple and navy colour, they were fierce!! And guess what? Kurt Geiger do an almost identical version of them in navy. 
Fur Trimmings - Fur always makes an appearance during F/W which makes sense because if you live in a cold country like myself you bloody need it. But this season you didn't just see your standard fur coats, oh no that would be too basic. Instead we saw fur sleeves, fur lining, fur seam lines, fur hemlines, fur stoles, everything. Amanda Wakeley, Belstaff, and Barrus were just a few who saw to this trend. Barrus's pencil skirt with the fur hem line was a personal favourite (picture 5), no excuses not to wear skirts in the winter now ladies. 
Sequins - Although I don't wear a lot of sequins myself, I appreciate designers such as Preen by Thornton Bregazzi who bring life into winter months. I find winter months very depressing and dull, but when you see pieces like Preen's sequin mini dresses those dreadful winter months don't look so bad if you have a glitzy sequin dress to prance around in. 

And finally my favourite collection from LFW. 
David Koma. Everything that I desire in a collection (I swear I said that about Proenza Schouler's but they are). The silver eyelets, laser-cut dresses, split skirts and dresses, clinched waists, tracks down the trousers, cut outs at the shoulder. 
If there's something you should know about me it is that I appreciate the little details of an outfit. One trend that I have swooned over is 'show the shoulders', any off-the shoulder or halter neck style dress/top I find incredibly flattering along with waist belts that clinch the waist in. I found David Koma's collection very fierce but at the same time feminine. It was empowering and I would like every single item please?!

Once again thank you for reading, I will be doing favourite collections from Milan and Paris Fashion Weeks and I will also have an outfit post up on Friday.

Chelsea x


No comments:

Post a Comment