Friday 23 June 2017

SHOULD WE CONFORM?


So something happened recently that got me thinking about my previous experiences within the working world and I wanted to discuss it on my blog. Having recently finished University in Events Management I was searching for event experience to help a girl out over the summer and boost the attractiveness of my CV as I'm sure most students in my position will understand. Just like many industries the events industry is a very competitive one so at the moment I am not picky with what events I choose as any experience helps. Anyway, the other day I contacted an agency to apply for flexible event work when I got to the application process and saw a 'list' of expectations they required from their candidates. This list consisted of 'attributes' such as: no jewellery/piercings, natural hair colour, suitable hair length and many more shocking requirements (yes, seriously a suitable hair length ... what is suitable?!?!)

Now as a women with tattoos, piercings, grey hair and a partly shaved head this obviously got me thinking about my appearance and how I would have to change it to be a part of this company. Why is it that companies want everybody to look the same? Why should we have to do that? Does having tattoos/piercings/unusual hair make me any less professional than people who don't have these qualities? No. Work is a massive part of people's lives and if we are constantly masking ourselves to conform to these requirements then 20% of the time we are only able to be our true selves and quite frankly that is a life I don't want to live. 

Yes it is a controversial topic and I'm sure some people will say tattoo's and piercings are unprofessional and send off a bad message but these elements do not portray somebody's personality, intelligence or professionalism. I understand everybody has their own opinion but this is mine. 

And it's not just within Events it is everywhere, some of the top high street stores ensure they choose their staff wisely to portray a certain image for their brand including minimal makeup, long blonde hair, athletic figure ... seriously how realistic is that? People are so caught up in appearance that customer service seems to have taken a step back and yet these qualities are seen as 'professional'. Appearance in my eyes has nothing to do with 'professionalism' and individuals shouldn't have to conform to look a certain way to be accepted within a job. 

If we can't be ourselves then who can we be? 


No comments:

Post a Comment