Wednesday 9 March 2016

OVERVIEW OF PARIS | FASHION WEEK

And it's all over, my favourite time of the year. Now until September, where I am hopefully going to try and volunteer at one of the shows, fingers crossed! Anyway, as usual I have shared my favourite collections of Paris Fashion Week and I will admit there are quite a few ... but I think I've done pretty well considering every single collection was beautiful. 


STELLA McCARTNEY

Plenty of glamorous evening and day-time wear with this collection. Daytime came with oversized ruffled bib shirts and dresses, all oversized and layered over mannish wide leg trousers. All of the pieces were very minimalist, with no prints other than a swan print taking over a pair of trousers and a knitted top. Then Stella added cropped quilted black bomber along with mid-length puffa jackets and a tie-dye denim jacket which added a streetwear vibe to the collection. The show stopper for me had to be the oversized navy blue velvet puffa jacket (picture 1) - seriously I need that jacket!!! Onto evening wear ... such a selection of delicate lingerie slip dresses which sat just on the shoulders, along with a black velvet tuxedo with mesh shoulders giving the illusion of the jacket being off-the-shoulder - such a unique detail to add to a regular tux. I particularly loved the pleated skirt which looked like it had been dipped into a shiny gold coating of paint - incredible. 

CARVEN

Jacket and coat heaven, so many different styles and fabrics. I loved this grey one (picture 1) with shearling wrapping around the neck of the lapels - also it comes in a dress which is just as amazing! Next up, the knee-hitting black vinyl coat. I have always loved vinyl ever since I saw Topshop's burgundy double-breasted coat that I so badly longed for - and never got. So when I saw this one appear in Carven's collection, I felt a glimpse of hope that maybe just maybe the high street would bring out a dupe for AW16... all I can do is pray people. And if this vinyl coat wasn't enough, Carven featured vinyl trousers, trimmings everything! Another piece which stood out for me was the lightening bolt print body turtleneck with a zip centred all of the way up (picture 2) - which is definitely going to be a trend for AW16 just look at Chloe's collection aswell. All the knitwear was very relaxed and had a sporty vibe to it with stripes running down the arms and zips running up towards the neck. Overall a very vibrant collection.

CHLOE

Everytime I see Chloe my inner boho is released. Ruffles everywhere. If it wasn't a ruffled top it was a silk or chiffon ruffled dress which isn't unusual for Chloe but there was a sense of freedom about this collection. What I liked was the contrast of these innocent, romantic dresses against the cropped leather trousers and mid-calf leather biker boots, giving the collection a bit more grunge about it. You either saw a very relaxed silhouette with extremely oversized freely-flowing dresses or a head-to-toe structured leather look. I particularly love how Chloe have incorporated both a biker chick and boho vibe to this collection. 


DIOR

J'adore Dior, if you had seen my instagram I couldn't resist but share with you a few outfits that really stood out for me. How can anybody not love Dior? This season there was a lot of shoulder to be seen, many of the coats sat elegantly on the shoulder creating a wide neck line with centre zipped turtle necks underneath. The thought of the coat being worn along baring all neck and chest just gives me goosebumps. There was also a lot of texture on the dresses this season, creating patchworks of different textures and prints which I particularly liked as it gave the dresses more of an edge along with the asymmetric cut neck lines. For me Dior can do no wrong, for the past few seasons they have created the most elegant pieces and this collection is just as beautiful. 


H&M

It's fair to say I love a high street collection and H&M didn't disappoint. When the models first came outfit I felt a chic boho look with the head bands, lace vest tops and the loose fitting trousers. But then it turned more cowboy with a hint of Victorian which shone through in the high-rising hats, nipped in waistcoats and 'inspector gadget' coats. Being a sucker for velvet, I particularly loved the cobalt blue velvet pieces which really created a statement along with the scarlet red that H&M displayed. The python print thigh high boots were to die for, python being a massive hit on the catwalk this season. I can't wait for this collection to hit the stores. 

BALMAIN

Ahhh the collection everyone has been talking about, Kendall unleashing her inner barbie and Gigi strutting as a brunette. If that wasn't enough to talk about, the clothing ... Oh so very Kimmy K. Balmain is one of my favourite designers simply because of the hour glass silhouette which is created every single season making it such an empowering collection for women. Although there was barely any skin on show, sex appeal oozed every outfit. The clothing clung to the models body's, corsets clinching in their waists, suede boots hitting their thighs and ruffles flowing head-to-toe. The powdery blue, blush, grey shades created such a contrast of innocence, but the styling and silhouette's of the clothing still gave a provocative vibe. Everything seemed so delicate, the suede, the silk, the embellished dresses and skirts and a touch of mink fur. Olivier did it again, another outstanding collection which still delivered the goods to its loyal fans. 

KENZO

And this is what I love about Kenzo, so edgy, so unique ... something so completely different to the other collections I saw at Paris Fashion Week. The inspiration for this collection was the futurism for North-east Asia and that definitely reflected within the clothing. The collection felt very youthful with the pinafores, check blouses, white socks and cross body miniature satchels. Kenzo can do print clashing like perfections, it just works. Who would have thought zebra print with checks? I don't know whether its the use of colours or the cut of the pieces but the prints just seem to work together. I love the geeky yet trendy vibe I get from Kenzo ... plus the zebra print knee high boots are insane.

VALENTINO

As soon as I saw Valentino I instantly thought of Black Swan - the ballerina shoes, the layers of tutu, the sleeked back hair, the black leggings and the feathers all reminded me one way or another of ballet. At first the all black outfits gave a very striking fierce look especially paired with the stompy biker boots. Then the colour palette gradually turned to nude, almost as if the models weren't wearing anything other than the embellishment and ruffles which emerged from the dresses. Colour was incorporated, particularly through velvet material giving of a glistening moonlight glow when the light hit the fabric. The dresses were incredible with sequins and crystals embellished all over and I absolutely loved the dress covered in feathers with a thin layering of black tulle underneath. What a show to be present at. 

HERMES

Every single piece of clothing screams luxury, a minimal collection with fabric so delicate anyone would dare go out in it. Each piece of clothing had some gloriousness about it; including my favourite; the peach sorbet, long sleeved, body hugging floor length dress. Wow. Everything moved so elegantly even the leather dresses paired with gloves that just sat below the armpit baring the shoulders. And if these weren't sophisticated enough, Hermes finished off their suede designs with tiny studs which formed squares and tracks across their dresses and skirts. Perfection. A collection dedicated to the sophisticated minimalist women out there. 

GIVENCHY

"I'm so reckless when I rock my Givenchy dress" - Beyonce got it spot on. I was feeling Givenchy this season with their Egyptian theme. The dress which featured the eye of Horus on, paired with knee high python print boots was gorgeous. I loved the clash of animal prints from head-to-toe especially with the cropped sweaters and bomber jackets. Python print makes a return to another collection - very similar to H&M's thigh high boots. There were a lot of military style jackets with gold frogging, but it was the black velvet mini dresses with the fur trimmings that did it for me. All black everything, so fierce. Such a contrast for Givenchy this season compared to their Spring/Summer collection. But when I sing Beyonces' song, I'm going to visualise these dresses in my head. 

NINA RICCI

Ohh there was something so sexual about this collection, Nina Ricci hopped on the lingerie slip dress bandwagon this season. But this collection couldn't be called pretty, it was more provocative ... the kind of collection a girl needs for a date with their man. The shiny leather used made almost every piece gleam when it hit the light, making the clothing even more irresistible. Flesh was subtly shown through the slashes that centred the skirts and the V cut running down the collar to the waistline on dresses, showing a hint of bra. Lingerie was also visible through sheer blouses, which all added to the sexiness of this collection. Also, lets not forget the glistening mules.  

SACAI

Another collection which automatically stood out for me because of its uniqueness. Don't get me wrong I love a minimal collection which oozes luxury but I also appreciate a collection which can turn heads. When I saw these outfits I couldn't stop watching. Firstly the buckle details caught my eye which literally go vertical, horizontal, diagonal across the bodies, not to mention the zips going up the skirts. The thick straps across the body with tiny silver eyelets on reminded me of seatbelts in a car. There were oversized long ruffled sleeves underneath embroidered and shearling jackets. Underneath the harsh, solid structured jackets came the dainty tulle skirts. I particularly loved the oversized tunic and wide leg trousers which were clinched in at the waist with a black strap, with orange vertical stripes mixed in with sheer panels. This is a collection that I definitely wont forget due to the bold prints and major details. 

So they were my favourite collections for Paris Fashion Week, it was so hard to condense it down to these 12 collections because there were so many stand out pieces. But these were the ones that really did it for me and the ones I will be looking at for inspiration during Autumn/Winter. I absolutely love Paris Fashion Week, maybe it's because I am a big fan of so many of the designers during this week, or maybe because of the Parisian style ... one day I will get to Paris!

Thank you once again for reading guys, feel free to post your favourite collections below I would love to know which collections stood out for you. 

Chelsea x 

No comments:

Post a Comment